Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, professionally known as Burna Boy, is a multi-talented Nigerian singer, songwriter, and a performing artist, who has lived up to the hype with a rich discography and numerous laurels to his credit. He is known for jams such as; ‘Gbona’, ‘On the Low’, ‘Killing Dem’, ‘Dangote’, ‘Anybody’ ‘Pull Up’, ‘Jagele’, and ‘Last Last’.
The music giant came to the limelight in 2012 after he was signed to Aristokrat Records and dropped the song “Like To Party”, which was the lead single off his debut album, L.I.F.E, released in 2013…‘Read full article’
Burna Boy is known as the 2021 winner of the Best World Music album Category at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards for his fifth studio album: “Twice As Tall”. He is also the CEO of Spaceship Entertainment record label and enjoys both international and local popularity.
This article is all about the exciting details about Burna Boy; his biography, real name, age, State, tribe, education, career, family, relationship, songs, awards, nominations and net worth.
Damini a.k.a Burna Boy, born 2nd July, 1991, hails from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigerian. He was raised by his parents, Mr and Mrs Ogulu in Ahoada and later relocated to Lagos State where he completed his basic education. His grandfather Benson Idonije was Fela Kuti’s manager.
Burna Boy started making music at the age of 10, when a fellow classmate at school gave him a copy of the production software FruityLoops. Armed with these means, he later began to create his own beats on an old computer.
The mega singer has the unique voice, ability, aptitudes, allure, and a vanquishing soul and for sure he has for all intents and purposes all that it takes to become incredible like Fela Kuti or King Sunny Ade.
Burna Boy for years, has accomplished what the vast majority of his counterparts couldn’t accomplish in such a large number of years. The vocalist raged the music business in 2010 and in the long run worked his way to the top following two years, cutting a specialty for himself as one of Nigeria’s quick-rising stars to keep an eye out for.
Born: 2 July 1991, Port Harcourt, Rivers
Category: Nigerian Singer
Other names: The African Giant • Odogwu
Full name: Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu
Education: University of Sussex,
Occupation: Singer • songwriter • record producer
Years active: 2010–present
Title: Ceo of Spaceship
Parent(s): Samuel Ogulu (father), Bose Ogulu (mother)
Net Worth: $100 Million
Burna Boy had his Primary Education at Montessori International School, Port Harcourt, and later moved to Corona Secondary School, Agbara, Lagos State for his secondary school education, where he formed a music band that performed at concerts.
Just after his secondary school, he left Nigeria for the UK when he studied Media Technology at the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom from 2008 to 2009.
From 2009 to 2010 he studied Media Communications and Culture at Oxford Brookes University in the United kingdom. After his studies in the UK, he returned to Port-Harcourt and took up an year-long internship at Rhythm 93.7 FM.
After his internship at Rhythm 93.7 FM, Burna Boy delved into the dancehall and reggae music his father listened to and explored the Afro-beat music preferred by his grandfather (who had also been Fela Kuti’s first manager). As a result of his new discoveries, Damini created a confluence of genres that would become his signature sound.
At a tender age, Burna Boy became famous in the music industry after he released the hit single ‘Like to Party’ from his debut album L.I.F.E in 2012. Burna sold about 40,000 copies on the first day of its debut and he also secured other artists to feature in the album, like 2face, M.I, Reminisce, Wizkid, Timaya, and Olamide.
In 2014, Burna Boy left Aristokrat records and established his own record label named Spaceship Entertainment, where he released his second album, ‘On a Spaceship’ on the 25th of November 2015. He later released his 3rd studio album – ‘Outside’, on the 26th of January 2018, which was supported by six singles: “Rock Your Body”, “Streets of Africa”, “Koni Baje”, “Sekkle Down”, “Heaven’s Gate” and “Ye”.
According to the hardcore musician, ‘Outside’ is a mixtape because it is a mix of Afro-beats, dancehall, reggae, and road rap, which was produced alongside by Leriq, Baba Stiltz, Jae 5, Juls, Chopstix, Steel Banglez, Fred Gibson, Phantom, and FTSE. The album ranked at number 3 on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart in February 2018.
Following the success of ‘Outside’, on the 21st of March 2019, Burna Boy released a 4-track EP titled Steel & Copper; in collaboration with Los Angeles-based electronic duo DJDS. His fourth studio album has been supported by six singles: “Gbona”, “On the Low”, “Killing Dem”, “Dangote”, “Anybody” and “Pull Up”. He began recording the album in 2018.
In August 2020, Burna issued the full-length Twice as Tall, which became his highest charting album to date, reaching number 54 on the Billboard 200 and faring even better in Europe and Canada. It went on to win a Grammy Award for Best Global Music Album. Featured on the album were guest appearances by Youssou N’Dour, Naughty by Nature, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, and others.
The 2019’s African Giant and 2020’s Twice as Tall were both widely acclaimed and charted in several countries. Another hit album, “Rotate,” a collaboration with Becky G, arrived in 2021, as did the solo single “Kilometre.” Burna Boy also performed a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden in April 2022, becoming the first Nigerian artist to headline a show at the famed New York venue. Led by the Toni Braxton-sampling hit “Last Last,” his sixth album, Love, Damini, was released on July 2, his 31st birthday.
- Shobeedo (Freestyle)
- Like to Party
- Run My Race
- Yawa Dey
- Won Da Mo (featuring D’Banj)
- Don Gorgon
- Check and Balance
- The Realest
- Mandem Anthem
- Koni Baje
- Rock Your Body
- Heaven’s Gate (featuring Lily Allen)
- Sekkle Down (featuring J Hus)
- Devil in California
- On the low
- Killin Dem (featuring Zlatan)
- Pull Up
- Money Play
- Last Last
Burna Boy Albums.
- On a Spaceship
- African Giant
- Twice as tall
- Burn Notice
- Burn Identity
- Steel and Copper (with DJDS)
Awards and Nominations
- Nominated at The Headies for Next Rated in 2013.
- Best New Act of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2013.
- South South Music Awards named Like to Party as Best Pop in 2013.
- MTV Africa Music Awards honored him as the Best New Act in 2014.
- Best R&B Single Nominee at the Headies 2014.
- Nominated L.I.F.E at the Headies as the Best R&B/Pop Album in 2014.
- Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year nominee at the Headies 2014.
- L.I.F.E was nominated for the Album of the Year at the Headies 2014.
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated him for the Best Pop Artist of the Year in 2015.
- L.I.F.E was named Best Album of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2015.
- YouTube artist on the rise in 2018.
- ‘Ye’ was named as Listener’s Choice at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- At the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival Ye was named as the Song of the Year in 2019.
- He was named Best Male MVP at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- African Artiste of the Year at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- Best International Act at the BET Awards 2019.
- Apple Music Up Next Artist in July 2019.
- Killin Dem with Zlatan won Best Collaboration in 2019
- Best African Act at the MTV Europe Music Award
- Burna Boy won Song of the Year and Artist of the year also nominated for video of the year, Best Live Act, Best male west Africa, and Crossing Boundaries with music at the African Muzik Magazine Awards in 2019.
- He won west African male artist of the year, Album of the year (African Giant), Song of the year (Killin Dem), and was Nominated for Best collaboration at All Africa music awards 2019.
- Burna Boy won African Artist of the Year, Best Male MVP and was Nominated for Listener’s choice and Viewer’s choice at Soundcity MVP Awards Festival In 2020
- In 2020 Burna boy was nominated for Best world music album (African Giant) and International male solo artist at Grammy Awards
- Burna won the Best International Act at the MOBO Awards 2020.
- Burna Boy was nominated for 2023 Grammy Awards.
Burna Boy has been dating his girlfriend, Stefflon Don for a long time but later broke up due to some circumstances. Stefflon Don is a British rapper with a huge hit single on YouTube that has over 123 million views. According to reports, Burna Boy’s girlfriend, Stefflon Don, gave birth to a child when she was 17 years old, and the two are now raising the child together.
Burna Boy is one of the richest musicians in Nigeria. His net worth is estimated to be $100 million. Burna has rightfully become one of the most recognizable celebrities in Nigeria.
He also owns some expensive and classy cars that include: A Mercedes-Benz, G Class, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover V8, Toyota Camry, Roll Royce Phantom.
Burna Boy a.k.a Odogwu, as his fans fondly call him, has a large number of followers on social media who happen to be die-hard fans of his music.
He currently has over 12 million and over 7 million followers on Instagram and Twitter, respectively.
- Instagram handle – @Burna Boy
- Twitter handle – @Burna Boy
Do you find Jingolobell useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!
No one has commented yet. Be the first!